King Honored with Biomedical Engineering Teaching Award from ASEE

May 23, 2022Christine King, assistant professor of teaching of biomedical engineering, has received a 2022 Biomedical Engineering Teaching Award from the American Society for Engineering Education’s Biomedical Engineering Division. She will attend the annual ASEE BED conference June 26-29 in Minneapolis, Minn.

The award recognizes contributions in the field of biomedical engineering education by new faculty members as evidenced by innovative teaching materials, curricula, textbooks and/or professional papers and by activity in ASEE/BED or other biomedical engineering organizations. The committee was impressed with King’s pioneering work in BME education at this early stage of in her career. 

“I'm very proud of this award, not only as a UCI professor in biomedical engineering and to show the nation what our amazing department and school has to offer, but also as a member of ASEE BED and the connections it has brought me,” said King.

“I have learned from my ASEE mentors and peers how to bring our department's undergraduate curriculum to the level required for our current students, and how to do this in an inclusive and supportive environment. This award epitomizes the need for support both nationally and locally from our peers on how to better train our students. We can't do it alone, and we should all learn from respecting and growing from each other.”

She added, “I'd like to thank my supportive department and colleagues, my school and the ASEE BED. Without constant collaboration and learning from each other, we will never become better educators.”

– Tonya Becerra